Volunteer with the Friends of the 500th at Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge!
There are plenty of opportunities to support the Friends and the Refuge while learning more about the Refuge, spending time with Refuge staff and helping visitors and students learn about this wonderful place. There are opportunities to work alone, in pairs or large groups, to work inside or outside, and to perform ad hoc or continuing work. Because of the small staff at CVNWR, volunteers are essential.
- Become a Visitor Center and Bookstore docent
- Host or present a Valley Vibes program
- Monitor bluebird nest boxes on the Beall Tract of the Refuge
- Patrol for invasive species
- Survey frog and salamander egg masses in the annual vernal pool study
- Help at local and regional community festivals and events
- Assist with school programs like Wild School or class field trips
- Write an article for the Timberdoodle
- Lead a nature walk like What’s Blooming? or a topic featuring your interests and expertise
- Organize the Refuge photograph database
- Mount and label herbarium specimens
- Assist with Refuge trail maintenance and mowing
- Join Adopt-a-Trail
- Join the Garden Tenders caring for the native plant garden
- Create interpretive trail descriptions and brochures for your favorite Refuge trail
- Join the Friends of the 500th Board of Directors or a working committee!
The Visitor Center & Friends Bookstore at the Refuge is open Monday thru Saturday, 10 am-4 pm, Memorial Day through Labor Day, and 10 am-4 pm, Wednesday through Saturday, at other times during the year.
To accomplish this volunteers are needed to staff the Visitor Center desk; operate the cash register; provide information about Refuge trails, events, and programs; and generally share their knowledge of the area and what the Refuge has to offer. Volunteers are critical for allowing the Refuge to have the Visitor Center open. Are you interested in helping out?
Contact us via the navigation above or call the Refuge at 304-866-3858.CVNWR Volunteer Opportunities Volunteer Services Agreement (PDF)